Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Dying Cat: A Short Story

They must not see me this way. Oh, the mice I’ve caught. The kittens I’ve birthed. I can’t let them see me like this.

It will be today that I die. I’m sure of that. My instincts are slow, worse than ever before. The cloudiness over my eyes comes all the time now. Yes, today I’ll die.

But no one must know. They have been watching me. They know I’m sick. But I can’t let them see me. I’m ashamed. I’m vulnerable. I know: All living things die. Of course I know that. But how embarrassing!

They will find me eventually, wherever I go. Wherever I hide. I’ll start to smell, like the mice. But to find me lying on the floor, not moving… That won’t do. I am strong, quick, smart. I must hide. I must not let them see me.

That is why I will slip underneath the porch. That is why I will die alone.

No comments: